Demonstrate the following information literacy skills: search and utilize scholarly journals and reputable web sites, synthesize and properly cite information from professional journals and electronic resources.
CRITERIA FOR SERVICE LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND PAPER
The purpose of the Service Learning experience is to focus on health promotion and disease prevention activities for various client
populations in the community. Students will learn about community resources, identify health care needs within the community, and plan a
health promotion activity designed to address those needs.
Service learning is experiential learning through service that meets identified community needs, and is structured to make connections
between the service activity and the theory. Students provide 12 hours of service to learn about resources provided by local community
agencies and ways that nurses can address health promotion and wellness for various client groups within the community.
1. Plan a health promotion activity designed to meet the needs of the clients/community served by the agency.
2. Reflect on the role of the nurse in community health.
3. Demonstrate the following information literacy skills: search and utilize scholarly journals and reputable web sites, synthesize and
properly cite information from professional journals and electronic resources.
• The Service Leaning Experience is a requirement for Nursing 235. Students must complete the 12 service hours at a designated
community agency to fulfill the clinical requirements for NURS 235. The Service Learning Paper will account for 20% of the course grade for
• Students are responsible for following the procedures and completing the forms as outlined in the Service Learning Student Handbook.
The Handbook and forms are available online at www.howardcc.edu/centerforservicelearning.
• Students are responsible for making the initial contact with the agency. Select a community agency from the Service Learning Agency
Directory that interests you and meets the objectives of the experience. Please note that some agencies require an orientation which is not
included in the 12 hours of service at the agency. The Service Learning Student Handbook includes a section on suggestions for contacting
• Meet with the Agency Coordinator, discuss agency/community needs, and complete the Service Learning Placement Agreement . The student
is responsible for obtaining approval from the agency coordinator and the Course Leader/Full-time Faculty prior to beginning the service
learning experience. Nursing students are not to provide direct patient care or perform any invasive interventions (dressing changes, or
blood glucose monitoring, etc.) or do primarily clerical work.
• Students are to adhere to the Dress Code while working at the Agency. Some agencies such as the Evelyn Jordan Center may require a
lab coat and HCC name badge.
• For questions regarding the Service Learning Experience or paper contact the Course Leader. If you have difficulty finding an agency,
Brittany Budden, Director of Service Learning may be able to assist you with this process. Contact information: 443-518-4432, or email
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH NURSING TERM PAPERS TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT